The Society has a rich history of activities since 1929. Here's a brief history of JSS.
Events for our members are at the heart of the Society's activities. An obvious highlight is our Annual Nobel Dinner which features a Nobel Laureate as a guest speaker and is attended by prominent guests.
Over the years, the Society has hosted many special events with extraordinary guest speakers. Here is a summary of some of our functions.
- Dr Noriko Mizuta, Senior Adviser to The Japan-Sweden Society, publishes book on feminism 『吉原幸子 秘密の文学ー戦後女性表現の原点』A review published by Tosho Shimbun of a new book about the literature and life of Sachiko Yoshihara, a prominent post-war Japanese poet and feminist, authored by Dr Noriko Mizuta, former President of The Japan-Sweden Society.
- Final reminder: JSS Annual Nobel Dinner on 7 NovWe are delighted to announce that the 2012 Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine, Dr Shinya Yamanaka, will be our distinguished guest speaker. "Recent Progress in iPS Cell Research and Application" Date: Tuesday, 7th November 2023.Time: Doors will open at 17:30. A Nobel lecture by Dr Yamanaka will be followed by a formal dinner.Place: Ballroom,… Read more: Final reminder: JSS Annual Nobel Dinner on 7 Nov
- HM King Carl XVI Gustaf celebrates 50 years on the throneCongratulations to His Majesty King Carl XVI Gustaf who on 15th September 2023 celebrated 50 years on the Swedish throne. Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus, King of Sweden, born on 30th April 1946, ascended the throne on 15th September 1973. Carl XVI Gustaf is the seventh king of the House of Bernadotte and the longest-reigning monarch… Read more: HM King Carl XVI Gustaf celebrates 50 years on the throne
- 「霞関会」会報：元駐スウェーデン大使 森元誠二氏の寄稿Please find the link below posted on the website of Kasumigaseki Kai, which is an affiliated organisation of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan. The article was written by JSS’s Vice President/Acting President, Mr. Seiji Morimoto. Unfortunately, it is available only in Japanese, but we hope many of our members can enjoy his captivating… Read more: 「霞関会」会報：元駐スウェーデン大使 森元誠二氏の寄稿
- Upcoming eventsWe are pleased to announce that, on Tuesday 7th November, the Nobel lecture by Dr Shinya Yamanaka, 2012 Nobel Laureate in Physiology or Medicine, will take place as part of our formal Nobel dinner at the Tokyo American Club. Date: Tuesday, 7th November 2023. Time: Doors will open at 17:30. A Nobel lecture by Dr… Read more: Upcoming events
- The Japan-Sweden Society's former Honorary President Robach publishes book on JapanSwedish publisher Fri Tanke has published the book “Solens ursprung – Japan i förändring” by Magnus Robach.
- The Japan-Sweden Society President Dr Noriko Mizuta’s book “The Dream of the Yamanba” 『山姥の夢』, translated into Swedish by Lars VargöJSS President Dr Noriko Mizuta’s poetry collection “The Dream of the Yamanba” translated to Swedish by Lars Vargö.